top of page
Underground Storage Tanks


Because of information provided to Maida Services in the past by the Federal EPA and New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, it is our company policy to recommend removal of underground oil storage tanks.

To Whom it May Concern:


The following information was obtained, May 23, 1996, from the following agencies:


U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

I spoke with Mr. John Heffelfinger at the EPA Underground Storage Tanks Department (703-603-9900). He stated that the EPA does not regulate residential heating oil tanks, however, they did produce a report in 1990 which states that those tanks can and do leak.


NH Department of Environmental Services, Groundwater Protection Bureau

I spoke with Mr. Thomas Beaulieu, (603-271-3644) who is in charge of the Underground Storage Tank Program. Mr. Beaulieu (as a State Employee) stated that heating oil tanks for residential use are currently not regulated by the State of New Hampshire, therefore he could not, as a State employee, make any recommendation regarding removal. However, he stated "as a private citizen, knowing what I now know about these tanks, I would not want one in use on my property." He also stated, "Corrosive forces set in on these types of tanks and statistically 15-25 year old tanks do leak." (Permission was obtained to quote him as a "private citizen".)


In our opinion, if the underground tank in question is metal, it will eventually leak. Once these tanks begin to leak, the potential clean up process can be costly. We have no knowledge about specific Town, City or State recommendations, procedures or regulations in this matter. The potential buyer would have to research this subject further and decide what action would be in their best interest.


For further information on this subject, you may obtain the following: From the Office of EPA Underground Storage Tanks, Washington, DC. Publication #EPA/530/UST-88/008, entitled "Musts for USTs" Additionally, you should contact the Department of Environmental Services in your respective State.

bottom of page